Photographer #5: Spencer Cotton
New York City, USA
40.7128° N, 74.0060° W
1. Please give us a quick introduction to yourself.
My name’s Spencer, I’m 29 years old. I’m originally from Los Angeles, California. Currently living in Brooklyn, New York.
2. Were you visiting the place/country or do you live there?
I’ve been living in New York for 2.5 years. I’m currently living in Bushwick.
3. What can you tell us about the people in the shoot?
The person modeling is my good friend Dane Isaac (@dane.isaac). He’s a very talented photographer and he also lives in Brooklyn.
4. Where did you do the shooting? Why did you choose this area?
The majority of our shoot takes place in Brooklyn near Prospect Park. Our plan was to shoot half of the shots in the city (Manhattan), and the second half in Brooklyn.
We shot the first roll in the Lower East Side/Chinatown, but apparently, it was loaded incorrectly and we lost the first 36 shots of our shoot. We were so bummed! So, we ended up shooting everything in Brooklyn. It felt a bit rushed, but we made it work!
5. What are your favorite spots in this location?
The district we focused on is called Park Slope. The whole area is filled with beautiful brownstone buildings – it feels pretty timeless. I chose to focus around this area because it feels elegant and upscale, which aligns with the AKOG brand.
6. What photographer/artist influences your photography?
Too many to list! Jamie Hawkesworth is definitely a favorite when it comes to fashion and documentary photography.
7. Famous last words – what would you like to share?
Thanks for having me guys! It was a pleasure.