Photographer #8: Andrew Gough
51.5074° N, 0.1278° W
1. Please give us a quick introduction to yourself.
I am a fashion photographer originally from London, working in fashion and beauty.
2. Were you visiting the place/country or do you live there?
I live in London now, I lived in Australia for 7 yrs and moved back to London 4.5 years ago.
3. What can you tell us about the people in the shoot?
Tom is a friend I reconnected with when I moved back to the UK, we have known each other since about 4 yrs old, on and off, but now one of my closest friends.
4. Where did you do the shooting? Why did you choose this area?
The still life shots were in my home, and the location is the Barbican conservatory, one of my favourite places in London filled with 60’s brutalist architecture, I wish most of London was like that!
It’s always great to go there for the feeling of being somewhere hotter than London!
5. What are your favorite spots in this location?
The cactus garden is amazing and the juxtaposition of nature we don’t normally see over 60’s concrete.
6. What photographer/artist influences your photography?
Originally when I studied I was into painting and fine art, but photography is so much more immediate, so that really appealed to me, I learnt when film was the only real option so film is the language I use for grades, lighting, colours etc.
A few times when I’ve made some work, not quite sure where it fits, then later seen someone I really respect do something along the same lines and that has made me trust where I was going and what feels right.
Looking at other artists work is a double edge sword of inspiration and seeing it has been done. Always loved Mario Sorrenti’s darker work from the late 90’s, Christophe Rihet, Gerhard Richter, too many to mention.
7. Famous last words – what would you like to share?
Time is more valuable than money as it can’t be replaced.